Saturday, September 15, 2012

Math Scale


  A long time ago, at a homeschool convention, I bought this math scale.

  The idea is charmingly simple.  We hang weights on one side of the scale, usually just 2, on 2 numbers (or 2 on the same number).  The child learning addition puts the correct weight on the other side so that the scale balances.  So if there is a weight on 6 and on 2 on the left side, then the child puts a weight on 8 on the right side, and the scale balances.  If the child puts the weight on the wrong number, one side or the other dips down and the other side goes up. 

  I can also do subtraction facts by putting a bigger number on one side and a smaller number on the other side, and he has to figure out the subtraction problem by putting the correct number on the smaller number side. Does that make sense? Not sure.

 The balancing is a nice "self check" and it is a big help for a child who is hands on and learns well by physically doing something.

  I will confess that more than once, I considered tossing the math scale in the trash.  It is big and bulky and therefore vaguely annoying.

  SOMEDAY,  I plan to write a long blog post on decision making about keeping and throwing away things.  It isn't easy to make those decisions.

 Anyway, let me say I am glad I held onto this thing!  Joseph is not a natural mathie and he is doing well with the math scale.  He is starting to "know" addition and subtraction facts without having to think about them long.  By that, I mean that if I say, "What is 2 + 3?"  he can spout out "5" without having to think about it and add those numbers in his head.

 But more importantly, he is truly absorbing the concepts of addition and subtraction. The visual references of the numbers are helpful as he moves weights around.  Now, addition and subtraction are pretty basic but he is what he is.  He is NOT a natural math kid and I realize I need to meet him where he is at.

  The above picture is from something Miriam was doing.  She is at the other end, she is a total and complete mathie.  Just as one short example of that, this kid memorized the entire times tables (through 12's) in 2 short weeks.  Yes, our 6 year old daughter knows the times tables cold at this point. (I'm guessing she'll need a refresher at some point, and then I'll have her play Timez Attack again.)

  She also enjoys the math scale.  She wanted to know what 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10 were.  As you can see, she put those on one side of the scale, and discovered that 55 is the answer (there are 5 weights on the 10 spot.)

  So, nice math scale.

No comments: