Sunday, November 4, 2012

I Love my Kindle

I love reading, and have since I was 6 years old.

We own 3 Kindles now, with the newest (mine) having a luminescent screen which  makes it easier to read in low light situations.

Oh, I love my Kindle!

I can borrow books from the library on my Kindle.

I can get free books from Amazon.com on my Kindle.

I can pay a dollar or 2 for entire collections of works from Shakespeare, G. K. Chesterton (the Father Brown Mysteries), and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes.)  I also have complete collections of Dickens, Jane Austen, and L. Frank Baum, who wrote 22 Wizard of Oz books. I bet you didn't even know that there was more than one "Wizard of Oz" book.

I've even found some obscure exploration books and mountaineering book at low prices for the Kindle. 

I've been thinking about finances lately and I do believe the Kindles save us money in the long run, though that isn't why we got them.

Sometimes I do have an urge to buy something because I'm feeling bored or unhappy. That's not a good reason to buy something, but the urge is there.  When it hits me hard, I often will borrow a book from the library for my Kindle.  It is instant gratification and it costs essentially nothing.  Just having a book on my Kindle gives me a weird, satisfied, full feeling :-).

Maybe that sounds strange.  But I am a total book nut.  I love books.  If someone gave me $1000 and said seriously, just buy it on fun stuff, I'd probably buy books.

So it is great having a Kindle where some books are cheap or free or can be borrowed, and the books themselves don't take room in our house.

By the way, one odd thing about the Kindle is that some books are quite expensive, more so than their used paperback equivalents.  I don't usually buy those :-).

No comments: