Friday, May 10, 2013

Snakes and Frogs and Leeches, OH MY!

Kevin and I took the children to visit my parents yesterday.  My parents have a (thankfully) large home and a STREAM out back.  Most of us headed out back and enjoyed throwing sticks into the stream and, after a while, 5 out of the 6 older kids went wading.

We observed a charming, green frog near the edge of the stream. He was quite big!

Lydia was still up on land when she observed a snake.  I wasn't there, but Kevin tells me she said, "Look, a SNAKE!"  And promptly grabbed its tail!!  Kevin yelled, "Lydia, no!"  He didn't know what kind of snake it was, and grabbing a random reptile seemed like a dangerous idea :-).

But as he said, we are rather proud of our intrepid girl who is calm about snakes and frogs. Actually, this is the same child who picked up a wild mouse many years ago and got bitten by it.

Our last encounter with the local fauna was in the form of leeches.   Naomi, Lydia, and Joseph came inside after wading for a time, and casually said they had pulled a number of leeches off of them.  I was freaking out about it and they just looked at me with this, "What's the deal, Mom?" expression on their faces.   Oh, I love my brave kids.  Leeches, so what? 

They had a great time. We actually left the kids at my folks for a few days and came home, so the house seems VERY quiet.  I will miss my sweeties, I DO miss my sweeties, but Kevin and I are going to get some one on one time and that is a great thing.





No comments: