Wednesday, September 25, 2013

AND It's Broken...


  I took our sweet Lydia to the orthopedic surgeon yesterday.  I was expecting follow up x-rays but he didn't bother, as he said the Friday x-rays showed a clear break of the growth plate in her wrist.  The whole thing is bewildering and rather upsetting as we were told on Friday that they couldn't tell whether there was a fracture or not. In any case, she has a cast, which will stay on for 3 weeks.  The bones are not displaced and it should heal beautifully.

  I just called our pediatrician's office to discuss Friday's inaccurate report.. The nurse said they just get a report, not images of the x-rays, and the report she got was that swelling made it impossible to tell whether there was a fracture.  So I guess this is a case of 2 different doctors seeing 2 different things, though the orthopedic surgeon said there were arrows on the x-rays pointing at the break.

  I will chalk this up to bemusement and experience, I guess.  The nurse said, and I will remember this, that with kids and growth plates, it is wise to be cautious. So when in doubt check, and check again.  With 8 kids and money and time, it is sometimes tempting to skip an appointment.  I don't take our kids to the doctor for every little thing, that's for sure. But in this case, with persistent pain, it was good to follow up. She is feeling better than last week, as the swelling has gone down.

No comments: