Sunday, August 10, 2014

Sleepy Baby


Rose slept through the night last night. Thank you, baby!  I actually woke up at 6 a.m. and was wide awake (and itchy because of chigger bites -- I hate chiggers!) I went into her little room and sat on a chair there reading my Kindle until she decided to wake up at 6:30 a.m.  So 7.5 hours last night...I think we'll call that sleeping through the night.

So far my milk supply is holding up. I'm drinking and drinking and drinking, and also have been eating steel cut oats because I was told oats help with milk supply.

Oats are high carb and my blood sugars are up a bit.  I had my blood draw a couple of weeks ago and my A1c was 6.0.  That's higher than usual -- I'm usually 5.5 or so.  I am not surprised as I have been eating more carbs.  I have to admit it is hard for me to not worry about 6.0.  I'm an engineer and obsessive about numbers, and I am convinced that one key to a healthy life long term for a diabetic is to keep my blood sugars low and stable. BUT, I will not nurse Rose for more than a year at the very most (and I doubt I'll make it that far) so I think it is Ok to run high for a few months.  And really, that isn't incredibly high. My doctor was very pleased with 6.0, but as I said -- I tend to be obsessive.  Non diabetics run around 5.0 and my long term goal is to have blood sugar levels close to a non diabetic. Again, long term.  I know once Rose is done nursing and I drop steel cut oats that I'll do better with blood sugars.

No comments: