Sunday, February 1, 2015

Ode to Big Kids

I just want to state that our big girls have been amazing this last week. Lydia was up in the wee hours one morning, helping Sarah as Sarah repeatedly threw up.  I got some extra sleep before taking over at 12:30 a.m.  Lydia OFFERED.  How many 13 year olds would offer to stay up late with their 2 year old sister while she threw up repeatedly?  Not many. Not only did she offer, she did a great job of comforting Sarah in the middle of a difficult time.

Naomi has been my strong arm and back this week.  We think she got the resident stomach illness first but never actually upchucked.  She was feeling mostly Ok this week and did a lot of extra child care, cleaning, cooking, and chores.  There were so many days when normal workers were lying, moaning, in pathetic heaps on bathroom floors and couches.  So I needed extra help with laundry, cooking, and cleaning.

I sometimes have long term memory loss about how I survived stomach flu back when we had little kids. I do remember lying on the floor when Naomi was a baby, feeling absolutely horrendous as I crept to the bathroom every 15 minutes.  Kevin had to come home to help that time.

Anyway, life is definitely easier now that I have big, strong girls.  And Isaac and Joseph, while still only 12 and 10, are able to help a lot too. They can carry trash and move large objects around.  It is awesome.

1 comment:

Sarah Heywood said...

Catching up on your blog this snowy Sunday...we've been battling the flu bug at our house, too, so I can empathize. You've got some neat girls who are going to make awesome mommies themselves one day (or who may never have children because of their experiences growing up! :)