Sunday, December 13, 2015

Prince Jonathan

I'm reading through 1st Samuel these days, and have been struck once again with the true nobility of Prince Jonathan, son of King Saul and close friend of David (of David and Goliath fame.)

I'm reading 1st Samuel using Enduring Word Media at http://www.enduringword.com.  This site provides commentary on most chapters of the Bible and I truly enjoy it.

So anyway, Prince Jonathan.  Apparently he was the crown prince of Israel, so likely the firstborn son of King Saul.  Early in his illustrious (and rather short) career, he took on a band of Philistines and sparked a major Israelite victory.  That is, of course, close to what David did later on when David took on Goliath.

Saul lost God's favor due to rebellion, and the prophet Samuel told Saul his dynasty would end and that God would place another man, from another family, on the throne of Israel.  And that was David.

After beating Goliath, David met Jonathan and the Bible says they became very close friends, to the point that Jonathan gave his armor to David and they pledged undying loyalty to one another.  That in itself is pretty interesting...Jonathan is this big honcho prince, and David was young shepherd and from an insignificant family.  So Jonathan was able to look past appearances to David's heart.  They both loved God more than anything or anyone else.

As time went on, a jealous Saul turned against David, David fled with Jonathan's help, David ran for many years, and finally Saul died in battle and David finally became king.  But what happened to Jonathan?  Well, he died in the same battle which claimed Saul.

So here is this dude who REALLY loved God.  He was willing to lay aside his position as crown prince to defend and protect a man who was destined by God to take the throne of Israel.   He made his father Saul very angry by defending David, to the point that Saul once threw a spear at his own son.

I find it interesting that God let Jonathan die fairly young, in battle. I find it interesting that this incredibly gifted and devoted man was set aside in favor of David. Of COURSE, God knew what He was doing and dying young and going to be with the Lord is a fine thing.

I am big on practical application, so I've been pondering that sometimes life hands us a few surprises.  Sometimes life kicks us on the teeth, as a friend commented to me recently.  Sometimes God's plan for us means we need to step down in the eyes in the world and humble ourselves.  It just occurred to me that I did a very tiny version of that by giving up a professional career in favor of being a stay at home mother.  And oh, how I love being a stay at home mom, so it is no burden.  But still, in the eyes of some I am probably "wasting my education" and my talents.

Well, I hear Miss Rose peeping so I'll hit Publish.


No comments: