Sunday, March 26, 2017

Musings in the Afternoon Rain

I've had a crabby day. There are passages in the Bible, many of them, about taming the tongue.  I have matured over the years and I'm not someone who tends to be cranky with people habitually (or at least I don't think I am) but oh my, today I definitely needed the Holy Spirit to help me be calm.  In fact, it was one of those days where I had to remind myself to think once, then twice, then say something.

Anyway, here's hoping tomorrow is better. I'm a little sick with a virus, I'm hormonal, and I've had interrupted nights with Daniel having another bad cough.  Last night was better than the night before so here's hoping tonight is great.

After dinner, I retreated to the middle girls' room with Rose to escape the noise downstairs, while also easing Kevin's life by taking the Terror.  She is so cute, she really is, but she continues to be a nut.

I was sitting on Miriam's bed when the rain started to pour down.  It was surprisingly peaceful in the room with only one crazy toddler, not 9 children running around.  Rain is a contemplative thing, is it not?

A few thoughts that came to mind.

1. I am blessed to have nine healthy kids. I'm following the blog of a couple who just had their 9th child, but she has Trisomy 18.  It is usually fatal but she was born 2 weeks ago and is home now, and is doing fairly well.  Certainly she has health challenges but the doctors are hopeful she will live for some time.  The Santorums (a political family from Pennsylvania) have a Trisomy 18 daughter who is close to 10 now, so it CAN happen. But still, it is totally exhausting for them all. They are so overjoyed she lived through the birth but life is CRAZY for them right now.

2.  Kevin's mom had to have her precious dog put to sleep.  Sam was a good boy but his kidneys were failing. It is very hard.

3.    I have a new friend, a military mom who is pregnant with their 7th.  And her husband is leaving for training somewhere else for a couple of months.  Oh, but that sounds tough. I'm thankful Kevin never has to leave us for extended periods of time.

4.  I'm reading through a book called "Surprised by Oxford" by Carolyn Weber. I'm fairly certain the title is a play off of "Surprised by Joy", C. S. Lewis's autobiography.  Weber's book is about her conversion to Christianity while she was studying at Oxford in the mid 1990's.  There was a bit of a nostalgia trip reading about her intense intellectual gyrations, as I too was an intellectual powerhouse in my college years.  Though I was on the side of hard science, and she studied literature.  I never was terribly interested in old poems. I appreciate them as an art form, I guess you could say, but for all that I'm a big reader I've never been a Coleridge big reader.  Anyhow, she writes well and it was a good book to read while the rain poured down outside.

5.  I much prefer my life though.  I'd far rather be in my nice big house with my big family including my wonderful husband than studying in ancient libraries at Oxford.  It was a life shattering experience for her, in a good way.

6.  It is nice that spring has come.  We had 2 cold wet weeks but today and yesterday were warm.


No comments: