Thursday, July 29, 2021

Sickness

 I am sick, which is annoying. I don't like being sick.  At all.


It is mild.  It is just bad headache off and on and fatigue and some digestive issues.  No vomiting, thankfully. I hate throwing up.


I am battling frustration because I have STUFF TO DO!  I have older kids who can help keep the house running and Kevin is home as well, BUT his work is particularly busy right now so he is holed up in the study most of the day.


I read a book this week called Diabetes by Marriage, written by a woman who married a Type 1 diabetic back in the 1960's.


First, Type 1 is far worse than Type 2.  Even more important than that, we know so much more about how to treat diabetes and with insulin pumps and easy testing, so it is way easier to manage highs and lows in blood sugar.  Now diabetes is still very serious and awful, especially Type 1, but medical technology has improved so much in the last forty years.  


Anyway, the author's husband lost both legs in his 50's to diabetic complications, and died before age 60.  She spent years managing his growing health problems. He also had major lows many times where his personality changed a lot. Once he almost attacked her during a low.


So while I am a bit whiny over being a little sick, I shouldn't be.  I will get over this in a few days.  My own diabetes is well controlled, praise God!  When I was diagnosed at age 35 with Type 2, my mother sent me Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes book and it was incredibly helpful.  I am not as strict with my diet as he suggests, but I do eat low carb and have managed to keep my A1c's at a decent level for 16 years now.  (A1c is a measure of average blood sugar.) I have also never had a bad low because I am not on insulin or a pancreas stimulating drug.

So yeah, I'm good.  And I'm tired. Is it too early for a nap?

 

No comments: