Friday, June 16, 2023

Two Weeks!

 Today marks the second full week of Kevin's leave from work, which is intended to last until at least January of next year. It has been good, and interesting. One does not spend 29 years toiling away in a paying job and then stop working without it being a major change.

I am talking about Kevin, of course. My life hasn't changed nearly as much; I still have stuff I do, I still write, Kevin is still around a lot -- he has been since COVID -- but now he isn't managing meetings and work in the midst of busy, crazy life.

He says he is feeling more relaxed, but it also doesn't quite feel "real" yet.  It has only been two weeks, so feels like a long vacation.

I am writing daily and have made a great deal of progress on my latest book. I'm over 40,000 words now, which means that I am probably about halfway done?  I never plan on how long a book will be. I write until my brain decides it is time to wrap things up.  Have I said before how grateful I am for Stephen King?  Not for his books -- I don't like horror -- but for ONE book, On Writing, where he says he is a pantser.  As opposed to a plotter.  A pantser has some idea in his or her head, and starts writing, and then just keeps writing.  A plotter makes outlines and figures out the entire book before beginning to write the prose.

Both are totally valid, by the way.  I'm just a pantser and I love it.

Anyway, it was a good week, and we are still adjusting to this odd life wherein Kevin isn't juggling home life with work life.

Also, it finally rained, after a six week drought. It rained a LOT.  We got a great deal of rain. Once again, I was happy that our house is on a hill.

It was also chilly.  The pool cooled down a lot. I am a wimp about cold water so I haven't been swimming in several weeks. The younger two kids love the pool regardless of the temps so...yeah, they swam.

  

No comments: