Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Mid September

 It is hot out there! It has been a hot and very dry month. We are praying for rain.


Our pool is getting colder thanks to longer and chillier nights. That makes it easier to keep under control as colder water doesn't grow as much algae. On the downside, fewer Kendigs are willing to jump in because it is less comfortable.


This is a large bin FULL of crumpled paper. Yesterday I finished my edits of the latest book. Now I am basically done with that one and Kevin will take it from here. Hooray!

I have another book that is already 64,000 words long. I set it aside a few weeks ago to finish Elizabeth is Not a Bennet (the latest book) and now need to start it up again. It needs some more drama so I am thinking about adding a plot thread.

Lydia started her new job today. She battled major health issues for months and has been steadily improving so that makes us all very happy! She is a receptionist now.

I usually don't get political on this blog and will just touch on a couple of things today. First, I am sad and worried that another person tried to assassinate Trump. It is crazy and scary. The man in question seems totally delusional and screwed up.

Another thing is that Springfield Ohio has been in the national news due to some things that came up in the debate. Springfield is only 15 miles from us. Kevin technically grew up in Springfield, though actually his house was the first one beyond the line of Enon, Ohio.

There is a genuine struggle in Springfield because an incredible number of Haitian immigrants have been settled there. Through no fault of their own, they don't speak English. Through no fault of their own, they don't know how to drive. The social resources are strained beyond the breaking point.

Lots of Christians on my Facebook feed are calling for love toward these people, and they are, of course, right. There are ministries working to help them in various ways.

Since we live so close to Springfield, one obvious question is -- what am I called to do to help these people?

The answer is, nothing.

That sounds dismissive, but I pray often for God's wisdom on what I am supposed to be doing in this season of life. My primary job is to care for my children. Given that there are many of them, and given that I am also writing a lot, and given my own emotional and mental make-up, I definitely cannot spend time doing ministry in Springfield.

Kevin and I and the kids are involved in a pantry ministry at our church (not in Springfield) but that is a small thing, only once a month.

The children do more than Kevin and I do with ministry; the older ones, I mean.

When I was a young mother, I was told by wise people around me that teenagers love to talk into the late evening about difficult topics. And I thought, I sure hope not! I am totally a morning person and am brain dead at night.

They were right. Last night I ended up talking at length with two kids (separately) about some emotional issues.

That was good. That was my job. 

I love Ecclesiastes 3

There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:

    a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.


Kevin and I are in a LONG season of raising children. I am guessing many people don't make such heavy weather of it. I think we are doing a very good job but it is hard work for us. I am confident that if I devoted myself to ministries outside the home, my parenting and teaching would suffer.

So yeah. I am praying for Springfield but I am not doing anything else during this season of life.


No comments: