Monday, August 26, 2019

Star Wars Holiday Special

I'm an original trilogy Star Wars enthusiast.  In fact, I love it so much that for a long season I didn't engage in the Star Wars fandom because God pointed out I loved it too much.  But a few years ago, He gave me the green light to go back to being a reasonable Star Wars fan.

So yeah, I love Star Wars. Original trilogy. The prequels are Ok. The latest are dreadful.

Kevin had a treat for me a few days ago. He brought me downstairs and found the 1979 Star Wars Holiday Special on youtube and we watched it.

Ok, so I loathe the Last Jedi, the last Star Wars film, for myriad reasons. But after watching the SW Holiday Special, I have to admit that the Last Jedi looks slightly (very very slightly) better.

The Holiday Special is awful beyond words.  Wow. I mean, wow.  I mean, who came up with this ridiculous show?  Well, partly the answer is the writers of the Carol Burnett show, actually.

The first 10 minutes of the show involve three Wookiees interacting and roaring to each other without subtitles. It doesn't get any better after that.

It is hideous, so hideous that it is glorious.

So thank you, Kevin, for expanding my universe to include the dreadfulness that is the Star Wars Holiday Special.

No comments: