Friday, April 2, 2021

I Quit! :-)

 My job on base, that is.


I have worked for a contractor on the Air Force base for 18 years or so now, and it has mostly been a fabulous job. I worked very very part time for all those years, taking frequent breaks for babies and illnesses.  My employers treated me beautifully and I am grateful for the opportunity to keep one little toe in the science arena.


However, ever since COVID hit, my work has been really hit or miss. For months, I wasn't permitted to go on base at all. Then it was the occasional hour here or there.  Now I am allowed in on Wednesday and Wednesdays alone.


With my publishing "career" taking off, with the kids getting older and requiring more driving around, with sheer AGE, I am realizing the need to simplify my life.  Yes, my job is only a few hours a week, but I have to work that around everything else and I sometimes feel like chocolate pudding scraped over too much ham.  (A Lord of the Beans reference, which is a Veggietales parody of the Lord of the Rings. The LOTR quote is "butter scraped over too much bread" I believe.)


So my last day is in three weeks or so. It is a little sad to have the end of an era in this way, but mostly I just feel happy that one small load will fall off my shoulders.


I remember when I was younger and more stupid, I imagined working with great vim and vigor into my late 60's. This was before marriage and 9 kids.  One thing I am noting is that my body IS aging. I am only 51 but I do get tired, I do get achy, etc.


Partly that is, again, nine kids. I sailed through 9 births (including 6 C sections) really well, but still, that did do some wear and tear on the old body. Not that I regret it in the least. I am so blessed by the kids, and truly in awe that I was able to have nine darling children!


But I also need to respect my own limitations. Even Jesus my Lord had to take naps at times! 


I love naps.


So yes, I quit.



No comments: