Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Joint Interests with the Kids

 One of the oddball things about having SO many children is how they have different interests and I keep having fun when I connect with one of them about something.

The big boys are watching lots of movies now; they are 18 and 19 and mature enough for some heavier stuff.  So far they seem to like the same movies that I like, which is fun.  I am super picky about movies.  I am annoyingly picky about movies. I dislike 10 movies for every one I love. So yeah.

I hope for their sake they aren't quite as picky, but it is fun saying, Hey, how about THAT movie and they watch it and like it.  That has been happening a lot.

A week ago or so Miriam told me she was watching a youtube episode about a scientist who tried to fake finding a high atomic number element. I thought that sounded interesting so, with her help, looked it up and watched it all.  The man making the program calls himself BobbyBroccoli for some reason.

It. Was. Awesome!

https://scontent.fosu2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/315192508_6006143696103425_3742779650931083566_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p160x160&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=JNjjXsKnSx8AX-LwFTa&_nc_ht=scontent.fosu2-2.fna&oh=00_AfDYQCErXJdBGf3tboAvtFWoaEgbvv_tdq9dcQYgFQmK1A&oe=63701EA8

That's the link, if you care.  It was sciency, but it was also psychological, and historical and WOW!  So so so cool!

BobbyBroccoli also made an elaborate program about a man named Schon who almost won a Nobel Prize on totally faked research!!!!!!!!

Like, recently!  20 years ago!!  WOW!!!!!!!

BobbiBroccoli has a great narrator voice and his images explaining the science are awesome.

It was so fun geeking out, and especially geeking out with Miriam!  I learned quite a bit about nuclear reactions. You would think I would know all that but honestly, I don't; as a materials scientist, I know more than most about the nucleus of atoms, but I know a LOT about electrons and bonding. That's my jam.

Anyway, I have lots in common with the kids, and lots of differences.  I am not an artist, unlike the six girls, but they can, at least, talk to each other!

I can talk about introversion and cats with Naomi, kids and cats and hair dye with Lydia, movies with the boys, and so on and so forth.

It is a blessing!





No comments: