Friday, January 13, 2023

Mid January and Medical appointments

 After the incredible storm a couple of days before Christmas where it was below zero with terrible winds, we have had a mild January.  It is snowing now, but not in an enthusiastic manner. We have gotten up to 60 a couple of days. Weird.

This week we are getting back into the swing of normal school.  Isaac started up at college, and Joseph and Miriam will start next week.  Rose is now reading quite fluently which is awesome and fun.

This week was also a "visit to the doctor" week.  Tuesday I took Miriam for her well teen checkup plus she got her work permit signed saying she could safely work. She has been working at Burger King for six months so that is silly, but life is silly sometimes. The story is that she started working in the summer when she didn't need a work permit, and it took BK months to realize they needed one for the school year. So we jumped through hoops, one of which was going to the local high school to have the superintendent sign the work permit.

Which is absurd.  She isn't in public school and the only knowledge the superintendent's office has is that she is homeschooled. But whatever. Paperwork.

I also took the six younger kids to the dentist for six month cleanings.  None of the kids had cavities!  Hooray!  I did have two cavities myself, but given that I am in my 50's, that isn't too bad. I mean, I have had other fillings but mostly I am doing well.  Of particular interest is that I have forty year old fillings which are still intact and happy, so that is amazing!

Yesterday Joseph transitioned to an adult medical provider, the same one that I see.  She is a great doctor.  I didn't go in with him (he is an adult!) but apparently the doctor's one concern was Joseph's weight. He is very thin. Some of that he comes by honestly because Kevin and I both have thin genes.  He is also tall (over six feet). I am certain he is fine and will put on weight in the next few years but it is amazing how thin he is!  He is going to try to eat more.  I am not really worried and I think he looks great.  There are a range of healthy weights.  It would probably be good if he weighed a little more though.

So that was my "medical" week.  Next week I have two more appointments but at least we are done with the dentist. I love and hate going in one day.  Love because we get it done. Hate because it makes for a long day at the dentist.  But the kids are older now so I don't have to worry about a small one climbing the furniture anymore!

I had a major issue with my left foot earlier this week. It hurt so much I was on crutches.  I did a few things; I took one day off from putting weight on my foot.  More importantly, I bought a new "night" boot from Amazon.  I realized my old "night boot" which helps relieve plantar fasciitis, was old and worn and weird.  So now I have a new boot and my foot is mostly better. Thankful for boots!


No comments: