Sunday, August 12, 2012

Good Questions

All of our children who can talk ask good questions. I'd like to highlight a couple of Miriam's questions today.  She is 6 years old.  I point out her age becuase it shows even young children can ponder things deeply.

Last night, in her bath, she asked me, "Mom, since God knows what everyone is going to do, why doesn't he just create the people who will be good." 

Whoa, deep question!  I was just reading about that very question in a fascinating apologetics book called "Letters from a Skeptic".

My answer to Miriam is that while God is outside time and knows everything that has happened, is happening, and will happen, He DOES give us free will.  So people are able to make choices.  God has not made us into robots and we are able to make decisions that lead us toward God or away from God. To SOME degree, God is an observer.  He knows the future and the choices we will make, but He doesn't control those decisions.

I realize not all Christians have that particular view, but this is what I believe. 

This morning, Miriam asked me, "So, were Adam and Eve always old?"

I realized she meant "adult". To her, any adult is old.

As she said, "If God made them as babies, they would die because no one would be there to take care of them."

I think Miriam is a budding philosopher :-).

No comments: