Sunday, June 9, 2013

I ADORE her, but I don't always LIKE her


   This is our 2 year old little lady, Sarah.

  I hope it goes without saying, but I will say it anyway, that I love this sweet girl to the very core of my being. I would gladly die for her.  I would gladly die for any one of my kids. 

  She is also a pain in the neck a lot of the time.  2 year olds are such challenging creatures.  The baby stage is so sweet, with lots of smiles and charm.  Then,  the kid turns 2 (or 18 months, or 3, or whatever) and a switch turns on and the child gets ornery.

  Poor Sarah!  It is hard living in a world that doesn't revolve around her.  Why CAN'T she eat M & M's whenever she feels like it?  Why can't she change her mind about whether to climb the stairs alone, or have me carry her, 5 times in a row?

 For some reason, early morning is one of her grumpiest times.  I usually get up pretty early (6 a.m. is typical) and Sarah usually gets up around 7:30 a.m.  So I have 1.5 hours when I read the Bible, pray, email, check Facebook, and feed Daniel and get him ready for the day. I also make breakfast sometimes (except on cold cereal days.)  It is a relaxing, pleasant time.

  At around 7:30, Miriam and Angela show up. They share a room with Sarah and if they are awake, she usually is too.  I mentally brace myself, and go upstairs and get her.  She generally greets me with a huge smile and lots of enthusiasm.

 When we get downstairs, the "fun" begins.  Today was typical.  After I changed her diaper,  I offered her lemonade, grape juice, or coconut milk for breakfast (that's more options than usual).  She chose lemonade.  I put lemonade in a sippy cup and gave it to her.  She said, "I want milk!"  I said, "No, Sarah, you chose lemonade."  She threw her cup on the floor.  I told her to pick it up and give it to me.  Somewhat to my surprise, she promptly obeyed. I put it in the refrigerator.  I told her to get in her high chair.  She moved VERY slowly. I picked her up to help her in.  She had a fit.  I put on her seatbelt  while she thrashed and wailed.  After she was firmly in, she calmed down and started eating her morning muffin.

  It's fine.  It's also tiring.  She really isn't a very likeable human being at times.  She is self centered, willful, grumpy, and prone to throwing tantrums. 

 But then, kids are tiring, especially young ones.  Anyone who thinks parenthood is easy and fun all the time probably doesn't have kids.

  It helps me a ton to remember that parenting is a gift but it is also supposed to be a lot of work. We are charged with the task of feeding, clothing, educating, training, and LOVING our kids.  It takes work.  It takes sweat and tears, and even blood sometimes! 

 There are tremendous rewards, of course.  Sarah is extremely cute and we adore her charming sayings.  We chuckle at her antics, and revel in her burgeoning vocabulary.

 But it isn't easy.



No comments: