Monday, November 4, 2013

Na-No-Wri-Mo Update

Naomi has written (in 4 short days) a WHOPPING 22,000 words in her novel!  Amazing.  I think she needs to increase her word count...originally it was 30,000.  Of course, she may run out of plot soon in which case she'll need to stop.

Lydia has been plugging away and has between 3000 and 4000 words.

Miriam has been a big surprise.  She is almost 8 years old, and I've not taught her much about grammar and punctuation.  To my shock, she is writing her own novel -- I mean, she is actually typing it in instead of having one of her older siblings type for her.  What she is doing is obviously WAY harder, and I am proud of her.  She has written about 400 words, not easy for a 7 year old!  I am considering how much to help her polish and edit it, since her dialogue in particular is fairly hard to follow. I will say this...she is using quotation marks close to correctly, which is impressive.

Joseph decided against writing a novel this year.  His big sisters are too busy to do a lot of typing for him, and he doesn't feel up to writing like Miriam is.

So far, my girls have been more "natural" writers than my boys, which is typical.  I will encourage both boys to do Na-No-Wri-Mo some year, but not this year.

All in all, I'm impressed and pleased with the first 4 days of Na-No-Wri-Mo in our household.

1 comment:

Annie Kate said...

I was so excited when I read your comment about your girls NaNo achievement in their first week! Wow!

Miss 11 has taken much of this week off to work on a Remembrance Day project, and I'm sure she'll be ready to write again Monday morning.