Monday, June 2, 2014

Randomness

Oh, I'm tired...oh so tired. 

I make a point of trying to nap most days now, but today I had an early afternoon OB appointment and it went on a LONG time.  First I waited in the waiting room for the non stress test machine to be available. Then the nurse hooked me up, Little Miss bounced around nicely for 10 minutes, and then apparently fell asleep. So I was on for a good hour until she woke up enough for the OB to be happy with the strip.

But everything is fine.  Blood pressure good, blood sugars good, I'm not dilating, all is good.  And we have less than 2 weeks to go before she is born. 



Kevin ran off to our little one's optometrist today and picked up their new glasses. I am so glad we have different colors from the old ones, so we can tell which glasses are new and which are old.


Here is a tiny housekeeping tip.  Buy a bunch of plastic plates and bowls, and put them in a lower cupboard. Then your young children can put them away for you.  AND your young children can set the table without you worrying about them having to climb chairs to get the dishes. Plus, plastic does not break when dropped.

 
Our wonderfully creative kids made this car with straws and connectors.

Kevin got badly sunburned a few days ago, unfortunately. He took the kids swimming, then went out to work on the garden and lost track of time.  He's had a hard time sleeping and me being up every 2 hours to use the bathroom probably doesn't help.  But we hope he's turned a corner and is improving.

I've been reading up on learning styles and learning disabilities.  Given our large family size, it is not surprising that our kids have different learning styles and we have a few glitches to deal with as well -- in particular, our older 2 boys have a handwriting glitch.  Our 9 year old son said firmly that he learns best by HEARING information whereas I am a very strong VISUAL learner, and there is no doubt I tend to teach visually. So I need to modify my teaching style to accommodate his learning style.

I've been reading some strange books lately :-).  One is a Christian book about a widower who walked the Appalachian Trail.  2 of the books are about deep water wreck diving, specifically associated with the identification of a German U-Boat discovered off the New Jersey shoreline 20 years ago, and the subsequent 6 year struggle to identify the U-Boat. Right now, I'm reading a book about a father and son team who died while diving that U-Boat.  I find "extreme sport" books fascinating. Mountain climbing, polar exploration, cave diving, deep water wreck diving -- what pushes people to risk their lives on such dangerous exploits?  I'm a very risk averse, so I find it interesting peering into the minds of people who are risk takers.

  As mother of many, I feel a tremendous obligation to be careful of my life.  I try to drive safely, I wear a seatbelt, I pray for protection, I eat carefully to avoid diabetic complications (I hope), I pray for protection (oh wait, I already said that...)


  I have to admit I just don't "get" people who do have dependents who are reckless with their lives, but again, I'm cautious by nature.  This last book, about the father and son divers who perished, talks extensively about the psychological issues behind such courage (or foolhardiness.)

And being courageous, of course, is good!  Firefighters and soldiers and police persons have to put their lives on the line at times. I am not sure what I WOULD do if faced with a death defying situation. I hope I'd be courageous, but I'm not a daredevil, for sure.  I hope the Lord would help me to do the brave and right thing.

  Like I said, randomness today.  I'm so tired :-).

 

No comments: