Sunday, March 6, 2016

Books and Movies and Politics, Oh My!

  I feel tired, somewhat physically, mostly mentally.  So this week, we're having a light week of school.  I may take some kids clothes shopping for spring/summer clothes, and we WILL enjoy the spring like weather.  The forecast is for 70 degrees on Tuesday!  Amazing.

  I was thinking, what would I do if I had all the time in the world? Answer: read fun books and watch movies I like.  Ha.  I am reading more than usual right now. I stumbled across a new mystery series, the Flavia de Luce mysteries by author Alan Bradley.  Flavia is an 11 year old fascinated with chemistry in general and poisons in particular.  She isn't an exemplary character and her family relationships are complicated.  But the writing is brilliant and the plots are interesting.

  And speaking of messed up main characters, I took the plunge and let Lydia read Harry Potter. I've held off 'til now, but she is 14 and a half and old enough to analyze books, so, here we go. She loves them.  I read the first book the week after I had Daniel, and I was enraged by a number of the plot themes.  The "good" magical people are irritating incompetents in many cases, and their abandonment of Harry as an infant on the door step of evil relatives did not make me happy.  I was flooded with post partum hormones and held a newborn son in my arms, so I felt really really angry at the indifferent people who should have protected Baby Harry. There are other reasons I don't like the Harry Potter books, but it feels fine to let Lydia read them.  As the kids get older, they have to be discerning.

  I'm still drawing the line at the Twilight series, as I don't like the themes in that series EVEN MORE :-).  Books about a teen girl totally OBSESSED about a man bother me.  When the man in question is a vampire, its even more problematic.

  Another book I'm reading is The Martian, which is the book the movie (by the same name) is based on. Kevin and I watched the movie recently and really enjoyed it. There is some language in both the book and the movie, which makes it problematic for younger people.  But yeah, really quite a brilliant plot with many interesting facets.

  I've been stressing about the political situation, but am doing better about laying it at the Lord's feet.  A couple of weeks ago, the Lord reminded me of Israel during the time of King Ahab and Queen Jezebel. They were horrible people and horrible rulers, but the Lord preserved a remnant of His people who never bowed the knee to Baal.  I have no idea what our political future holds.  A country where Donald Trump will likely be the Republican nominee is a screwed up country.  It really does remind me a LITTLE of Adolf Hitler, not that Trump is a Hitler. Praise God for THAT.  But he does say such screwy, terrible, ugly, nasty, vindictive, childish things, and people still vote for him.  Hitler was actually elected leader of Germany, and he had already written Mein Kampf, with it's open hatred of the Jewish people, and people still voted for him. Enough that he was elected. Crazy.  Hitler was, apparently, a compelling speaker and a smart man (and a psychopath.)  I'm not saying that Trump is the same, I AM saying that the man has said many things that make him an embarrassment.  I won't vote for him. And I won't vote for Clinton. So...I might not vote for a president this time around.

No comments: