Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Christmas Break

We're officially off from school until early January. Kevin has a lot of 'use or lose' leave from work (he can only carry over so much every year) so he's off a lot this month.

I find being off schedule rather challenging.  It's good, no doubt about it, but I thrive on routine so I have to keep reminding myself that being off routine is a fine thing.

The children are, of course, enjoying it. They still read books from the library and Isaac is watching copious quantities of Sherlock Holmes on Amazon.  They are really well done and educational, from my perspective.

Naomi and Lydia are both sleeping a lot. We've had an illness, a cold, and of course that wipes us out. But they are teens and need sleep anyway.  And actually, amazing as it is, even Isaac is sleeping in a bit these days.  He used to pop up at 7 a.m. every single morning, for years and years on end.  (This was because we made the kids wait until 7 a.m. to get up.)  But in the last couple of weeks, he's slept in until 7:30 a.m. more than once!

Isaac is now 6 ft. 1 inches.  That boy is TALL. And probably not done growing.

I have been sick too, which is tedious, but I'm slowly getting over it.

Four of the children participated in our church's Christmas musical this weekend at two services. They did well.  I don't have pictures, unfortunately, as I forgot my camera.  And really, it was hard to see anyway with so many people in the pews. We were near the back.

Our kitten, Mocha, goes in to be fixed today.  There is a wonderful organization locally called Tenth Life which provides lost cost neuters and spays for cats.  Such a blessing.


Naomi is 18 in the next week. EIGHTEEN!  I still remember when she was born, when she held Kevin's finger with one tiny hand, when she nestled in the crook of my arm. And now she's almost all grown up.  It is wonderful, and it is challenging.


And then of course, our caboose is 3 years old.  We've got lots of time with Littles.  Time with Bigs is awesome as well, but this season of maturity and letting go isn't necessarily easy.

A very Merry and Blessed Christmas to you all.  The Savior was born in Bethlehem more than 2000 years ago, and we are saved through his death and resurrection. Hallelujah!


No comments: