Thursday, December 9, 2021

Rose is a person, not a project




 Ok, I know that is totally OBVIOUS.  Rose is indeed a person, not a project!

But...

I really love finishing projects.  I get a dopamine hit from finishing up some big task.

Since Rose is the youngest Kendig child, I have seen the "end of an era" in a number of areas.  Last time we used diapers.  Last time we used pull-ups.  Last time we used sippy cups. There was one fine day many years ago when Kevin swept through the house like a tornado and took all the sippy cups and threw them away because he was SICK of them. Rose was not pleased but she adjusted to normal cups.

So anyway, Rose is learning to read.  I have 8 kids who are fluent readers now and one lone holdout.

My darling youngest is 7 and a half years old. She is making good progress with reading but she still isn't fluent. We are working on it and she is making progress but she isn't a good reader yet.

I have an internal struggle between realizing she is going to get it in time, and just wanting it done. This week, I realized part of my anxiety is that when she is fluent, I will be DONE teaching reading!

So I just want it done. But Rose is a person, not a project. She is smart, funny, stubborn, and not too eager to learn to read.  

I need to take my time and keep toiling away and trust that in time, she will become a fluent reader.  Indeed, I know she will; I have a lot of experience teaching reading and am 99.9% sure there aren't any issues with dyslexia or vision issues. She just has to learn and would rather be running around outside or making up cute little games.

The pic at the top has Rose in handcuffs because she wanted handcuffs, and I have been bribing her to read.  So that is why she is in handcuffs.



No comments: