Sunday, November 19, 2023

The End of a Generation

 My great- aunt died yesterday. She was in her late 80's and was the last of her generation.

My parents are each 80 so given that Ingrid was a full generation older, it is surprising that she was not so much older than my parents.

But she was born in Germany, came to the United States after the war, and eventually married my youngest great-uncle, who was some years older than she was.

He died some years ago at a ripe old age. Ingrid had a pretty hard childhood -- she was a child during World War II in Germany! She was an incredibly sweet, kind, generous person. She was amazing. People loved her.

The last few months have been hard and she was ready to go to be with the Lord. It is sad for us, but happy for her.

My great-uncle, her husband, farmed an old "family farm" for much of his life. When Francis was in his early 90's, he would still go out on the tractor to work the fields.

Francis and Ingrid did not have children, and no one in the family was interested in being a farmer. By God's grace, a wonderful family moved into a rental house next door to my great-aunt and -uncle's house.

For many years, they acted as family. They were kind and caring to my relatives. They looked after them. As time went on, they did more and more of the farm work.

They were such a gift, and I am confident they loved my relatives as much as Ingrid and Francis loved them.

The farm will go to this family, or already has, or something. It makes me happy that someone still loves that land, someone still wants to farm it. 

Good-bye, dear great aunt Ingrid. I am thankful that you are walking heaven's bright streets today, and sad for those of us left behind.

No comments: