Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Livin' The Dream (Literally)

I had a dream two nights ago.  I was in graduate school, again, working on my 2nd Ph.D.  (Why?  Just WHY???)

A few of my fellow graduate students told me that a horrible oral exam was coming up in a couple of days and suddenly I had just had enough. I told them I was done, that I already had a Ph.D., this was stupid, and I didn't want to jump through the hoops of academia again.

I went home to Kevin (we were living somewhere else, no idea where) and told him that I just wanted to stay home with our children, though I wouldn't mind working a couple of afternoons in a lab at the school, but I didn't want to be in graduate school anymore.

I woke up and realized that I was living my dream.  I do have one Ph.D., I'm done with school forever, I work a couple of afternoons a week at a lab at the Air Force Base, and I get to spend lots of time with my children.

I adore my kids but life at home isn't necessarily easy.  I always have a to do list, I always have ungraded papers, and there is always cleaning to be done that isn't getting done.  I am on Lexapro for anxiety and that does help a lot, but I occasionally get overwhelmed now.  When we had a bunch of little kids, I got overwhelmed often.

But.

I have three friends who are widows, all of whom are younger than me, all with children.  Two of the ladies are working quite a bit to support their children and the third one may work as well -- I am not in contact with her as much.

I. Am. So. Blessed. 

Kevin makes good money, neither of us are enthusiastic spenders, and we are well able to afford for me to stay home.  I am so very thankful for that.

I'm truly living the dream.


No comments: