Saturday, February 29, 2020

Health Stuff

So I have said over and over again that I am so very thankful for good insurance and access to good health care.  Oh my, yes!

And since this is my blog, I am going off in left field.  Coronavirus.  Mass hysteria.  I am not concerned at all.  It is hitting elderly people with pre-existing conditions. Kids basically aren't getting it in China, or if they are it is a very mild form. Of course I care about the elderly, of course I do, but this is not just cutting down everyone with indiscriminate thoroughness. I'm not saying be stupid about it, but I really don't think it is going to be a global disaster.

Here's some other things to think about: China's health system isn't superb. Also, they have an aging population (so lots of old people) due to the one child policy.  Here's another interesting, sad thing.  More than 50% of male Chinese smoke. It's cultural.  Very few women smoke.  Coronavirus is a respiratory illness. It is going to hit damaged lungs particularly hard.

Ok, back to the Kendigs.

Lydia had a long awaited visit with an audiologist yesterday. She has been concerned her hearing is a bit off.  I was thinking maybe auditory processing disorder, and maybe that is an issue for her.  But it turns out she actually has some mild hearing loss in the high frequency sound range because, probably, she's been listening to music that is too loud.

Parents, don't let your kids listen to extra loud music.

Or maybe there are other factors. Anyway, she does have permanent, mild, hearing loss in the upper frequencies.  Obviously, she will turn down the music now.  It shouldn't be an impairment in the long run but we don't want it to continue.

I took Isaac in for his 17 year checkup a couple of months ago.  His doctor hemmed and hawed at his height and weight and suggested a trip to the geneticist.  It is one of those things where I am 99% sure there is no problem, but we'd feel like idiots if he really does have Marfan's Syndrome and we ignored it.  Marfan's Syndrome manifests in extreme height and low weight and heart problems can be an issue. Again, I am not worried.  I am sure he is just being a Kendig/Parfitt (Parfitt being my maiden name). We have lots of tall, skinny men in the family line.  But Monday I am running off to the geneticist with him.

Joseph has scoliosis.  It showed up last summer and it has worsened in the last 6 months.  So on Friday I am off to an orthopedic surgeon.  If anything, they will suggest a brace.

Wednesday I have a random, standard mammogram.

I look at this week and groan because wow, busy week.  I don't like running around a lot.

BUT oh my, the blessing of good health insurance and good doctors!  The blessing of being able to stay home with my kids so I can run them to the doctor.  I honestly have my hat off to people who are both working full time.  (Though few have 9 kids.)

Oh, speaking of 9 children, I follow the FB page of a little girl whose parents also have 9 children and who were married exactly the same day Kevin and I were married.  So we have that in common.  BUT their 9th child was born with Trisomy 18.  This is when the 18th chromosome has an extra strand (that isn't very scientific, I know).  Trisomy 21 is the more well known Down Syndrome.  Trisomy 18 is usually fatal before birth or by year 1, but their sweet Verity turned 3 yesterday.  She's a precious girl but has lots of health issues.  So I look at my own healthy 9 kids and am thankful.

No comments: