Monday, August 16, 2021

Trip to Michigan

 I just got back from Michigan where I spent a few days with the four younger girls. Kevin took the three boys and Naomi on their own adventure in St. Croix, and Lydia was stuck here running back and forth between her apartment and our house, taking care of cats. She was also working, which is why she didn't go to St. Croix.


Anyway, we had a great time, all of us.  My trip to Michigan was especially fun because my brother, wife, and nephew visited from Friday to Saturday and also my aunt and uncle came over on Saturday for most of the day.


The little boy is my brother's son.  He is a little older than Rose and a complete sweetheart.  Our children only have three first cousins.  I have zero first cousins so hey, they have more cousins than I do!  Their cousins on Kevin's side live in Texas and our young nephew lives in Chicago so we don't see much of the cousins. So it was really precious seeing them together.


My mother is an amazing cook and we had quite a spread.


Miscellaneous relations and Sarah :-).  It was great catching up with everyone.

I haven't been to my parents in a couple of years at least. Last year was COVID year, of course.  One big change this time was that all my kids are now swimmers. My parents have a lovely backyard which lets out on a beautiful creek, BUT when I had non swimmers part of my brain was always making sure no small person fell in and drowned.  Rose did not fall in, but if she had, she would have been fine since she swims like a fish. The creek is not very deep but little kids are weird and will drown in shallow water so yes...

I remember going to their place when my parents celebrated their 50th anniversary (which is, of course, quite an achievement!)

Daniel was a year old and at some point toddle off determinedly toward the creek and I had to chase him and snatch him before he leaped in.  My little ones didn't have a ton of sense!

Anyway, it was more relaxing this time knowing that the children were old enough to not do anything incredible unsafe.

So yes, it was lovely, and now we are home and catching up with stuff. Our pool got stupid while we were away; it has a lot of algae and I am pouring chlorine in and beating it into shape.

But it was a fabulous trip and I am so glad we went.





No comments: