Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Chickens Holding Their Own

No more deaths since Friday.  Tomorrow they all go off to the butcher. Kevin borrowed some cages and we will move the hens into one of them tonight when they are half asleep.  The meat chickens are so fat they shouldn't be hard to catch.

It is a little meloncholy to butcher all our chickens but this is life. We bought them not as pets, but as food (either to eat or to lay eggs.) The time has come.  3 weeks from now we'll welcome another 20 chickens into the coop.  Kevin is going to clean up the coop as thoroughly as possible, and we will buy new waterers just in case they are contaminated with an illness.

One thing Kevin and I joke about a lot is that we'll say, "So we need to clean the chicken coop" and then I will add, "That means the royal 'we' as in YOU."  And Kevin smiles.  There are so many things I don't have to do since I am pregnant.  Ha.  One nice thing about pregnancy.  There are things I wish I COULD do, but I'm glad to miss cleaning the chicken coop!

No comments: