Saturday, April 28, 2012

This Baby...

I don't think I've posted an amazing story about the baby I am carrying, who will be born next month.

We have a lot of kids.  You probably noticed that.

I had Naomi when I was 30 years old. I am guessing there aren't many mamas who have their first child at 30, and end up with 8 children (or 9, or 10, or whatever we end up with!)

We had 5 children in a row without any serious pregnancy issues. Then we lost a baby to miscarriage in 2006.  It was very sad and we grieved a great deal.  I got pregnant 6 weeks after the miscarriage and carried our 6th child to term.

Then in 2009, when I was 39 years old, we lost 3 babies in a row to miscarriage.  We were again very sad, and we thought we were "done" with 6 children.

In early 2010, we conceived Sarah. I sadly expected to miscarry, but she made it! 

When she was 9 months old, I was 41 years old and 11 months. Now, I conceive easily but STILL.  I was 41!  I really did not expect that I would have another child, and I certainly expected that I wouldn't conceive again when she was so little.

One morning at breakfast, our son Isaac (age 8 at the time) suddenly announced out of NO WHERE...

"Mom, I've prayed to God for another baby and I prayed that he will be a boy."

Seriously, it was that week that I conceived the little guy I am carrying.  And he is a boy.

I confess that sometimes I feel quite overwhelmed that we are having a little baby next month.  Our household is a busy one, and I am a very conscienscious parent. I want to be a good mother to all our children and sometimes I wonder how I'll teach 5 children, and care for 3 young ones starting in the fall. 

When those thoughts attack me, I remember Isaac's precious prayer. This baby is an answer to that prayer.  This baby is a blessing and a gift.  Of course, ALL babies are.  But I think it was God's special little gift to ME that my sweet son prayed for a new baby. I can have complete confidence that the timing of this child's conception, pregnancy, and birth were and are in His hands.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I ONLY have five children (LOL)... been preg 7 times.... My first child was born when I was 28.... and I can relate to the answered prayers. It seems my oldest daughter has a way of getting what she wants, as well. She has prayed to have more babies in the past and it seems to happen. The one that sticks out is the one she asked for on her birthday one year. She made a wish when she blew out the candles on the cake that "momma would have another baby". Little did she know we had been considering the possibility and were leaving it to chance (for about a month). So, we were leaving to go somewhere one day a few days after this birthday wish and I had started thinkng on what she had said. We were out to dinner and I realized that "something" had been missing that should have happened about a week before. Hmmm... I conveniently decided we should stop by a Walgreen's and buy wet wipes (and I added a pregnancy test to my purchase). I had purchased one with a digital read out because it was on sale and even cheaper than the regular ones. I took that test as soon as I got a chance and I almost passed out when that thing started blinking "PREGNANT" at me. We wanted it for sure, but it happened a little faster than we ever thought it would. LOL!