Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Miss Fluffy


  I hope I'm not the only mother to give her children very silly nicknames when they are small.  My nickname for our 19 month daughter Sarah is "Miss Fluffy".  Her hair is a dark blond and she has cute little ringlets in the back.  Fairly often, her hair fluffs out in a way that reminds me of a day old chick.

 We actually have intimate experience with day old chicks since we raised chicks this spring.  Sarah is fluffy like a chick, but has some notable differences.  Our day old chicks ate, but they didn't take a bag of sunflower nuts and pour the entire thing on their plates.  Our day old chicks got rid of their bodily waste products, but never played in the toilet.  Our day old chicks NEVER reached a surprisingly long arm up and yanked things off the table and onto the floor.

  And guess what, Sarah has done all of those things!  Yes, she is a toddler extraordinaire.  Truthfully, she keeps us all hopping!  It has only been 3 years since Angela was this age, and I am fairly certain that she was a "calmer" toddler.  Ok, let me be honest, I think Sarah is the most exasperating toddler we have ever had.  She has insatiable energy when awake and is constantly grabbing things she shouldn't, pushing buttons to turn off computers or clothes dryers, and climbing stairs when we want her to stay on one level. She is adorable and wonderful and precious, but it takes a ton of work to keep her safe and to keep our belongings safe from her.

I had a follow up appointment at the OB more than a week ago and I was reading an article in a magazine.   The article with about a pair of identical twin girls with a serious genetic problem who are 8 years old and not able to talk or walk or do much of anything.  The mother said that she looks at parents scolding their kids in the grocery store for grabbing things, and thinks, "How I wish my children could grab things at the grocery store!"

That was helpful. Yes, Sarah needs to learn obedience and discipline. But she is a healthy happy girl and I am incredibly grateful for that.

I love you, Miss Fluffy.

 

No comments: