Thursday, July 18, 2013

Crawling Towards Normalcy


Ok, I'm getting better. That's good news.

I really have a hard time with physical limitations.  I want to be a good wife and mom and when I can't even go OUTSIDE without an asthma attack, I get truly frustrated.  It is SUMMER.  There are a million fun things to do and I can't even go outside!

Yesterday I did drive to a nearby town to meet a friend who was kindly giving me some extra clothing for our 2 middle girls.  All I did was drive there in an air conditioned car, help haul some clothing into our car, stop briefly at the library, and drive home.  By the time I got home, I was gasping for air.  Now that sounds dramatic and I wasn't blue or anything, but it was uncomfortable.  And I was annoyed with myself for making the trip, though having the clothing was AWESOME.  Or maybe it is better to say I was annoyed with myself for having grumpy lungs.

Kevin gave me a much needed talking to.  He suggested I have one really good day breathing wise before I go anywhere again.  And today was pretty good. I didn't step outside more than once or 2ce and only for brief moments. I did feel better than yesterday, by quite a bit.  So I'm stepping in the right direction.

Dear Annie Kate, who writes a totally awesome blog at http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.com/, left me a comment encouraging me to TAKE IT EASILY.  Annie Kate has celiac disease and has spent years getting healthy after being very ill.  So she's walked the talk. 

We live in a culture that really celebrates "no pain no gain", "be tough", "push yourself."  I have pushed myself in the past and I've regretted it. Actually, this illness is probably partially the result of being too busy the first 2 weeks of the family illness. I was dashing around taking care of extra stuff and probably that made me experience more symptoms when I finally did succumb.

So, everyone is healthy but me.  I'm close to Ok.  This Sunday is the annual trek to King's Island, a local amusement park.  I am NOT GOING.  Kevin and his mom are taking the six older kids and the babies and I will have a quiet day at home.

I think I've turned the corner and that is good.  But I'm still going to rest, as hard as that is.  And I'm going to cling to the truth that my husband, and my children, and my Lord and Savior, love me even when I can't do as much as usual.



No comments: