Sunday, December 22, 2013

Church Christmas Party

I took the older 6 kids to a Christmas party at our church yesterday morning. It was great fun.

First thing we saw were these wonderful animals!

Yes, there were real, live camels!  They were SO big.  I think they were a little wet and I hope didn't mind. It alternated between raining and pouring yesterday.  The camels, donkey, and sheep were under a canopy but definitely got a little wet.

 

We then entered the church and found food.  Tasty food. Delectable food.  Exciting food. So naturally, the kids wanted to eat.  I really had to chuckle because we had already had breakfast and I wasn't expecting much food enthusiasm and all the kids wanted to do was eat.  So they mowed through Rice Krispy treats and fruit dipped in a chocolate fountain and cookies and chocolate...you get the picture.

Then each child was able to play 3 little games in the back of the church. Regardless of whether they won, they won...each child got to pick out a prize at each game area.

It was onto the pancake breakfast then. Seriously.  Most of the kids STILL wanted to eat.  Ok, fine, we ate some more. (Well, THEY did.  Very little of the food was diabetic friendly :-).)

Then it was time to dress up.  There was a stable outside next to the camels, and the children were able to dress up as nativity scene characters inside the church and then go outside to pose.


Isaac wasn't interested in dressing up, so he kindly watched our prizes and other items while everyone else dressed up.  They are such a good looking bunch of kids, if I say so myself.

 By then I was tired, so we headed home.  It was a lovely time and I'm very grateful to all the volunteers who worked hard to put together this event for area children.

Driving home was a little adventurous.  I was driving the big van as our minivan is in the shop.  I got to a place on the road where a lot of water was encroaching, and the van slipped a bit.  I did fine with it, but didn't like it.  This morning, when I went to church, that particular road was entirely closed off as water is completely covering it now.  Actually, driving to church this morning was interesting. I've never seen so much water in fields, and the 2 small rivers we saw were flooded in a truly impressive way.

P.S.  One last thing...my brother and his wife have their first baby due ANY DAY NOW.  So excited for them!!

No comments: