Thursday, February 13, 2014

Ice Skating

Our monthly homeschool roller skating parties recently ended.  Our kids love skating, so that was a disappointment, but there were problems with the rink where we had been going.

A fellow homeschool mother graciously put some time in to get inexpensive skating rates at a nearby ice skating rink, and Tuesday I took our 8 kids there.  This was their first time on ice skates, so I didn't know what to expect. I made them all wear helmets, just in case they slipped and hit their heads.

But they didn't.  They took to ice skating like ducks to water.




Miriam sensibly hung onto a cone when she first went onto the ice.


The rink is sometimes used as a hockey arena, so for the first 30 minutes I commandeered the "Home" team enclosure.  The 2 littles enjoyed climbing up and around the seats, and it was easy to keep them in sight.

But a dear friend was down at the other end of the rink on the bleachers, where hot air was blown down for the comfort of the spectators. So I moved down there after a while.


Then I was chasing the 2 littles in an unenclosed space. They thought the bleachers were great but it was pretty wearing for me as sometimes they  headed in opposite directions!


At some point, we took a break and ate some snacks out in a foyer area.

After 2 hours I was very tired, and Daniel was even more tired, so we went home.  It was a ton of fun and our kids loved it.  I am hoping we can do this regularly, though realistically I may need to find someone to watch our 2 little ones while I go because as the pregnancy progresses, I will need to be more cautious about stressful situations.

I've had preterm contractions with all of my pregnancies except Naomi, and the danger time will start fairly soon. So I need to be cautious. I've never had a preterm birth, though I was in the hospital overnight with our 2nd child at 30 weeks as I had regular contractions that weren't stopping.  It is a strange thing...hard to know if it is really something to worry about, since I have never started dilating, or whether it is just an overactive uterus.  But a preterm birth would be a bad thing for the baby so we always err on the side of caution.

No comments: