Thursday, February 27, 2014

Limitations

I'm feeling frustrated tonight because of my physical limitations. I want to be able to help friends, to take the kids to exciting places, to have the stamina to keep up with the house and schoolwork to the level I desire.

There is a passage in the Bible, in one of the letters to the Corinthians (I think) where Paul asks God to take away a "thorn" that was plaguing him.  Commentators don't know what the thorn was, but God responded with "My strength is made perfect in weakness."

It is hard for me to accept that. Wouldn't it be better for everyone if I stayed strong throughout the pregnancy?  If I never had preterm contractions?  If I could do the polka the day before I deliver?  (Well, NO on the latter.  I HATE the polka.)

But I am me...44 years old, almost 24 weeks pregnant, in good shape physically but not up for any marathons or even exhausting field trips.

I need to cling to the truth that this baby is a big part of God's "job" for me right now, and I'll need to lay aside other desires for a season.  I will be more dependent on others, mostly family members. I will need to say no to some good things.  That is life right now.

It is Ok.

No comments: