Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!

  A very happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there.

  We made it to church today. I was emotional because...I don't know?  Because I'm emotional. Because I'm 34 weeks pregnant and hormonal through the roof, and sometimes I'm weepy for no particular reason.

 Our pastor preached a sermon that was focused on moms but, I hope, was helpful for everyone. He also prayed for, and blessed, all the moms in the church. He made specific mention of those for whom Mother's Day is a hard day.  I still think sadly of a friend from 20 years ago whose only pregnancy ended in a miscarriage on Mother's Day :-(.

 The middle kids all made something for me at church, with of course the help of the wonderful staff in the children's programs. 3 of them brought candy home for ME, but of course I can't eat it so they shared it.

  We got home around 12:30 p.m., had a hasty lunch, and I put Daniel down for his nap while the older kids played games.  I went to bed as well. For a while, I could hear Daniel kicking the crib but eventually he fell asleep.

  I got up around 2:30 p.m. and called my mother, and we had a nice chat.  Around 3:45 p.m. I decided Daniel should get up from his nap.  I went up to find him totally zonked out, and very warm as I had overdressed him (I tend to do that.)

  When he did wake up, he was a total crank.  It is 5:30 p.m. and he has spent a remarkable amount of the last 2 hours and 15 minutes crying.  Sigh. 

  In other little kid news, Sarah got up this morning and changed into underwear but did not use the potty. And then she peed on the floor in the basement.

 So...today has really been the very epitome of motherhood. I've had super cranky little kids. I've had warm hugs and loving words from older kids.  The baby I'm carrying has been kicking me enthusiastically.

So I guess it has been a good day.  I find it hard dealing with a toddler who is very unhappy but that too is life.  I am very thankful to be a mother.  I am thankful be a mother of many. I am thankful for the gift of children. I am thankful for a wonderful and supportive husband.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: