Thursday, July 10, 2014

He Really is a Nut!


  It isn't just me, Daniel really is a nut!

  I've never had a 2 year gap between children before.  Usually we've had about an 18 month gap, and between Angela and Sarah there were 3 + years.

  Coping with Daniel the last 4 weeks has not been easy.  Since I had a C-section, I can't lift him.  Naomi and Lydia and Isaac CAN, which is a huge help but still...there are times when it would be much easier if I could pick him up and put him somewhere.

  Until Rose was born, he was the "baby" of the family and he really looked like a baby -- chubby cheeks, chubby thighs, cute little baby expression. But now that I have a newborn, Daniel looks much bigger.

  And I'll be totally honest, I'm often frustrated with him.  People say things about the "terrible twos" and many make a point of saying it should be the "terrific twos."  I was telling my father how challenging Daniel is and my dad reminded me (wisely) that if Daniel was NOT busy and vigorous and challenging, it would be a bad sign.  Daniel's behavior is totally normal and healthy.

 But still, he is so much work!  A friend visited today with her son who is 6 months younger than Daniel and her son just seemed way calmer and cheerier than Daniel is because he hasn't got to the crazy 2 year old stage.

  So I am struggling with patience with Daniel. I need to remember that this is very hard for him too, welcoming a new baby sister and dealing with a busy and distracted mom.

 I am praying for patience and also that Daniel would be protected from his own foolishness.  And yes, he is totally precious.  May I never forget that even when I am exasperated.

No comments: