Thursday, July 31, 2014

Weight Check

Lydia has had an aching wrist for a week, so I took her into the doctor today. He thinks it is a soft tissue injury but just to be sure, she had an x-ray. No word on results, but I doubt it is a break. Still, I'd rather be safe than sorry so I'm glad we went in.

As long as we were at the doctor, I asked the nurse to pop Rose onto the scale. She had on a diaper and nothing else, and weighed in at a respectable 8 lb 3 oz!  So in 6 + weeks, she's 2 lbs over birthweight. You go, girl!

Now let me share about my OWN weight check.  I was about 170 lbs just before Rose was born.  I'm now hovering at around 152 lbs.

As I've shared before, I'm one of those annoying souls who is naturally thin, and I've always lost weight easily post partum. This time, I'm working hard to eat and drink enough in the hopes that I can maintain milk supply for Rose. So far so good.

I actually was a tad below 150 lbs a couple of weeks ago, and have since gained a couple of pounds.

And honestly, I'm struggling just a LITTLE bit with that weight gain. That is totally ridiculous and absurd.  I know from experience that when I'm done nursing, I'll easily lose weight. I'll probably lose weight before I'm done nursing.  And really, 150 lbs is a perfectly reasonable weight for a woman who is 5 ft. 8 lbs.

I have very rarely, maybe never, had serious worry about my weight.  It is one of my soapbox issues that as a culture, we are way obsessive about weight when we should be focused on HEALTH.

And yet, I guess I am affected just a bit by the cultural stupidity.  And I'm a little annoyed by my clothes not fitting.

So, I'm giving myself a talking to.  The best thing for Rose is that she can be nursed for at least 6 months (more would be great, but making it 6 months would be a huge blessing after Daniel only made it 3 months.) So I'm going to keep eating and eating and eating :-).

No comments: