Saturday, April 18, 2015

Batman!


  There is no doubt I watched a lot of TV as a child.  I loved TV and especially loved superhero shows. I was born in 1969, so Batman, Spiderman, and Wonder Woman were staples of my early childhood years.

  Nowadays, super heroes are often substantially "edgier".  I appreciate that the superheroes of the 1970's were straight forward noble, though I realize they were also one dimensional.

  We are cautious about how much, and what, our children watch in the way of television.  We don't watch network television except for rare sporting events.  We have Netflix and allow some kids' programming and a few adult programs, but we're very careful.  I have found Netflix and DVD's to be a wonderful alternative to "normal" TV, because we watch what we want, when we want. We don't center our lives around when our "show" is on.  It is definitely a very different world from my early childhood, when no recording devices existed.

  Not surprisingly, perhaps, my fond memories of some childhood shows made me want to share those shows with our kids.  In some cases, I realized that the shows in question had dubious moral issues. Sometimes we just decided against a show, sometimes we talked through the issues.  Our kids have watched a few Wonder Woman episodes, for example.  She is smart, noble, and  caring but oh, that outfit. We've had many discussions about that outfit.  Not modest.  There is also the whole Greek mythology thing to contend with.  But I have allowed the kids to watch some of the WW episodes.

  But Batman was off limits, because Batman wasn't available on DVD, nor was it streamed  well from anywhere.  I have very fond memories of Batman, with the utter campiness, the silly "Pow" and "Biff" fights, and the ridiculous contraptions.  But there were apparently legal issues with putting Batman on DVD, so it languished in no man's land for decades.

 Earlier this year, it finally came out. The entire season was, drum roll please, $150.  I am not kidding.  $150!!!

  That was TOO much.  I actually had a pang of longing to buy them (like I said, fond memories) but quickly pulled myself together and decided firmly NO. 9 kids.  Gotta be careful financially.

  And then the library got them!  Problem solved. We ordered a couple of disks.  Our eldest 2 sons like them a lot, in particular.  I am surprised to note that some of the bad guys have immodestly dressed female sidekicks, but Batman always pontificates to them about turning away from evil, which is at least a good message.

  So I'm enjoying "sharing" Batman, without spending any money out of pocket. Win-win.



No comments: