Friday, April 10, 2015

Our House


This is our house.


This is our giant porch, covered in bicycles and toddler scooty toys.

             I really like our house.  I am extremely thankful that the Lord led us to this place.  It is big (5000 square feet if we include the basement!)  It is on quite a bit of land, so the kids can run around.  It has a pool, so we can teach our kids how to swim without hauling them off to the Y.

           But let me tell you about another house I like.  A couple of weeks ago, I visited a family from church who live in an A frame house about 30 minutes from us.  

            The A frame is SO different from ours, and I enjoyed touring it.  Our previous home to our current one was a Cape Cod and the upstairs of the Cape Cod had weird angled ceilings and lots of character. This A frame was the same except that the weird ceilings extend down to the first floor as well.  The living room is quirky. The upstairs bathroom is cool, with a skylight and oddly shaped ceiling. I liked it.  A lot.

          But I don't want an A frame. I want our house, because our house, while boring, is extremely efficient. Our house is a big rectangle.  We don't have a fancy roof line, or a 2 story entrance hall, or a turret (we used to joke we wanted a turret in our house.)

          If we had a smaller family, we might go with quirky.  But given that there are 11 of us roaming around, I value easily accessible floor space.  I value simple rooms where we can put up bookshelves without worrying about roof lines.  I appreciate a big attic where Kevin was able to put all kinds of insulation to reduce our overall heating costs.

        So I'm at the stage in life where I love looking at neat or quirky homes, but give me simple. And big.:-).


No comments: