Friday, January 22, 2016

Isaac the Cook


  One of the curious aspects of my childhood and teen years is that I never learned to cook well.  My parents did an awesome job teaching me how to clean, do dishes, wash clothes, etc., but somehow cooking slipped through the cracks.  I did BAKE quite a bit, but I didn't know how to cook peas or make soup, that kind of thing.

  Anyway.  I lived for years on Rice a Roni and bread and that kind of thing, but when Kevin and I were married, that food style was no longer acceptable. Kevin was and is a very good cook, and he taught me how to cook.

  We've tried to teach our children many skills, and Naomi and Lydia went through a year long cooking course with Kevin so they know more about the science behind cooking than I do.

  Isaac -- well, I confess that since he is a boy and he is our 3rd child and I've been busy and I have 2 competent older kids who cook, I've been lazy about teaching the boy how to cook.

  So he just took matters into his own hands, and started learning to cook and bake by himself.

  He has a limited repertoire, but given that he's the driving force behind it all, it is most impressive. He loves and makes sliced potatoes in oil, muffins, and palachintas.  More than once he has asked me if he can make a meal and I have said yes and he has done it ALL.

  Great job, Isaac!

No comments: