Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Putting Kids to Bed

Sometimes I chuckle inwardly at our night time ritual.

It is, of course, much like the night time rituals of thousands of families except we have way  more kids than normal.

So...7 p.m. rolls around every evening.  Rose and Daniel are at the end of their physical rope and have been cranky for an hour. I'm watching the clock.

So...7 p.m. rolls around (I know, I just said that.)  I give Rose her last milk of the day (actually, warmed coconut and almond milk mixed -- I still don't entirely trust that cow's milk agrees with her.)  I also give her some kind of snack.  I change her diaper and put her in her sleepy outfit.  I put her in her bed.  I pray for her.  I turn on a sound machine.  I turn off the lights.  I exit.

Does she sleep?  Well, not RIGHT away. But she also rarely fusses.  She is positively famous for her body banging, though.  She likes to sit and wack her little body against the side of her crib.  It is a little weird, but she doesn't have any other crazy rhythmic "things" that she does, so we're good.

In the middle of all this, the house is not quiet or calm.  No, DANIEL is also worn out and crabby.  While I'm working with Rose, I'm often giving Daniel HIS night snack and treat, or one of the older kids is doing it for me.

Then, pull-up.  Brush teeth. Bedtime with Daddy (usually.)

Sarah is also worn out so it is time for HER to go to bed now.  Night snack.  Treat.  Brush teeth.  Allergy medicine.  Mommy usually reads her one book and 3 Bible stories.

In the middle of all this (it is now close to 7:30 p.m.) the next 2 older girls are doing their nightly clean ups.  Miriam cleans the basement and Angela cleans 2 rooms on the main floor.  Night snack. Treat.  Prayers.  Kisses.  Hugs.  More kisses.  More hugs.  And they are in their room.

The older 4 kids all have night chores of their own, like washing big bowls and small bowls, washing pots and pans, making bread, and putting items in the dishwasher.  They also have snack and treat.

By 9 p.m., we hope, every last one of our kids is in his or her room, if not asleep.  Most of them are NOT asleep yet, but at least they are in their rooms.

I'll be honest and say that bedtime wears me out. I've been putting little ones to bed for a VERY long time. But it is a blessing and a privilege, too, to kiss them and pray for them and put them to bed.  And then they sleep.  Ah.  They sleep.  I am so thankful they sleep. I love them, and I love that they sleep.

No comments: