Monday, March 30, 2020

Monday, March 30th

It is weird how hard it is to remember what day of the week it is.  The regular cadence of our lives has been entirely disrupted and the days slide by without a great deal of change.

We are doing fine.  Naomi has had an illness with a bad headache and fatigue, but it is just a virus, not THE virus.

Being home is mostly our normal and the weather gave us a few lovely days, so we were outside running around, firmly not interacting with our wonderful neighbors who have a newborn and an elderly individual in their household.  Because, social distancing.

I keep praying fervently that God will give wisdom to the leaders of our country, our state, our county.  These are difficult times, as many people are off work and yet if we open everything back up, the coronavirus will spread like crazy.

I believe our leaders are wise to continue quarantining and social distancing, but certainly the economic impact is profound.

New York City is scary. Of course, it is the kind of place where a very contagious virus will spread easily.  So many people in a relatively small area. I pray our country can rally alongside NYC and give the city's personnel the respirators and other support necessary.

I have read more than one article about how idiotic the spring break kids were in Florida.  Masses of them went down to Florida to party and of course they spread coronavirus.

While I shake my head slightly, I am not surprised at all.  I have been a cautious soul for as long as I can remember, and even in my university days, I was not a risk taker.

To me, the idea of going to some unknown city and getting crazy drunk around a whole bunch of people I don't know is just so insanely RISKY that I can't imagine doing it myself. But tens of thousands of young men and women do just that. They are risk takers.  If a woman is willing to get drunk repeatedly around a bunch of unknown males -- thus taking the chance of being raped -- is she really likely to worry very much about an invisible virus that mostly harms older people?

No.

Though on that note, a newborn died in Chicago yesterday of COVID-19.  So horrible.

But yes, I don't expect young people to be very wise.  I know plenty of older people aren't taking this very seriously either.  If you scroll back a few posts of my own, you'll see I blew it off a month plus ago when I had no idea how bad this was going to get.

So yeah, lots of people don't get it and aren't going to get it, how awful this is. Or they are just casual people and risk takers.

Lord, have mercy on our country and our leaders and our people. Give us all wisdom.


No comments: