Tuesday, April 21, 2020

I am Jael

So I'm writing a Pride and Prejudice fanfiction called "I am Jael".

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13524581/1/I-am-Jael

That's the link, if anyone is interested.  I'm not done with it yet.

I've been writing Star Wars fanfiction for several years now and thoroughly enjoy it.  Writing is very satisfying to me, and I get positive feedback which is even more fun.

Star Wars fanfiction cannot be published for money because Star Wars is legally owned by Disney.  So I write just for fun.

Writing Pride and Prejudice fanfiction is also enjoyable, but there is at least the option of actually publishing it.  It's such an old book that it is no longer covered by copyright, so a million people have published their Pride and Prejudice alternate books on Amazon Kindle.

I'm playing around with the possibility of doing so with my book when I'm done. We'll see.  It wouldn't earn much, but it would be fun to get paid to write, even a little bit.

Kindle Unlimited is a monthly service where people pay $10 a month to access a bazillion titles which are part of the Kindle Unlimited library.  I have Kindle Unlimited and it is crazy awesome.  So. Many. Books!!

So if I do this, I'll sign up for Kindle Unlimited and if someone reads my book, I get a very small amount for every page I read. Something like that.

We'll see. The big thing for me is that this is a whole new world for authors.  No longer are people required to jump through hoops to have a publishing house accept one's work.  Anyone can publish on Kindle Unlimited, apparently. Some people, of course, try to game the system by writing garbage.  I have no intention of writing garbage. I think my writing is quite good, if I do say so myself. Not Gerald Durrell or Dorothy Sayers or Rex Stout good, of course, but decent.  And fun, very fun.

So we'll see. 

No comments: