Sunday, May 17, 2020

May 17th

Ohio is slowly opening up.  Naomi is back to work at Goodwill.  Kevin may start going back to work some days next week.

I read a wonderful article about the coronavirus this week.


https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/church-dont-let-coronavirus-divide/


Basically, it is all about how we need to not be crabby with one another and not be arrogant about our knowledge. This whole coronavirus thing is extremely complicated.  Yes, it is deadly. Yes, it is highly contagious. No, we can't just stay closed forever. Yes, mental health is suffering for some people. Yes, people are losing jobs and businesses!  These are all huge deals. We need to patient with other people who have a different perspective on the whole business.  Our church has a high number of elderly in it and they are very much at risk, so our pastors are definitely praying and seeking secular wisdom about when and how to open back up.


I keep praying for wisdom for our leaders and we continue to be cautious. Naomi wears a mask all the time at work.  She is required to do so.  Kevin says at work he doesn't have to wear a mask in his office but if someone comes into his office, he does. If he leaves his office and is interacting with people, he will wear a mask.  My work sent me a couple of masks in the mail yesterday, which was nice.  I haven't heard yet when my company will send us back to work on base.


Our library has started curbside service. We order books online, then drive to the library, park, call inside, open our trunk, and they put the books in without interacting with the driver at all.  That is exciting. I have missed the library SO MUCH.


The last week I have been feeling kind of blah.  I am a homebody extraordinaire but even I am getting tired of this. On the other hand, I had to take kids to the optometrist this week and it was strenuous.  We had to wear masks and while I don't mind, it just adds another layer of complexity. Taking the kids to doctor appointments is kind of wearing anyway.


But yes, day after day after day, week after week after week, month after month, year after year -- I have been doing this parenting thing a LONG time.


I am so blessed. I know that and I feel it. But when I get, frankly, bored with it, I cling to the following verse:


Galatians 6:9, NIV: "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."


I am weary of doing the basic "good" of mothering.  I am tired of making sure people eat and do laundry and do chores and are doing their school.

But.


This is my job.  My role. Every job has its boring aspects. I feel very blessed to have THIS job, that of raising a baseball team of kids.



A National League baseball team. No designated hitter.


No comments: