Thursday, June 18, 2020

Busy Life!


Let's start with kittens. Aren't they just the cutest?  We fed them kitten formula the first couple of weeks we had them.  Now they are old enough to just eat dry food, but I have a little left that I am finishing up. They are always so adorable when they gather around to drink it. Enjoy it while you've got it, kittens!

We have had a lot of doctor, dentist, eye, chiropractor, and orthodontist appointments lately. None of it is urgent or emergency in nature, we just took a long break during the lock down and are catching up.

Lydia is still job hunting. We keep praying God will guide her to the perfect position.

Our pool was happily hanging in the mid 80's for a week or so, and then we had a cool down.  So now it is about 81. Not bad. The kids and Kevin love it. I want another few degrees before I will really be happy.  My chiropractor is urging both me and Kevin to swim regularly as swimming is good exercise, obviously.  I just want it really warm in there. Is that too much to ask?

My book, I am Jael, continues to astound me.  I mean, I've been writing for years now and have been improving my writing skills throughout. I'm a reasonably good writer.  But still, for a debut novel from an unknown author, it is really doing well!  Last week it was hovering at around 9000 on the Kindle store list, which means only 9000 books were doing better. I was pretty impressed with that, given that there are hundreds of thousands of books available on Kindle. A couple of days ago, it shot up to about 4000 and has been oscillating around there ever since.  Amazon's algorithm's in ranking books are a complicated business; I wouldn't be surprised if the programmers themselves are slightly bewildered by it all :-).


I Am Jael: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by [Laraba Kendig, Kevin Kendig]

Here is the link if you are interested:

Amazon link to 'I am Jael'

Anyway, it isn't that important except that it is truly nice that people like the book.  I am writing another Pride and Prejudice book rather frantically right now; not because I have to, but because the story is unspooling in my mind and I want to get it down.

I wrote a Ph.D. thesis back in 1996-1997.  I cannot tell you how arduous and boring that was. Compared to that, any writer's block in a fictional Pride and Prejudice (or Star Wars) fanfiction is nothing. So I keep writing and when I hit a block, I write something.  Often I have to change it, but one of my writing mantras is "You can't fix nothing".  Better to have something down, even if it is lousy, than nothing.  I can usually take at least a little of some rotten prose and improve it.

Well, I need to get moving.  The children are still curled up in bed, mostly, and I need to dislodge them.


No comments: