Thursday, November 5, 2020

Thursday

 

1 Timothy 2:1-4 ESV

 

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.


Like most people, I am not fond of uncertainty.  As of this moment, it seems almost certain that Joe Biden will be the next president of the United States but it isn't quite over yet so yes, we will see.

And I am disappointed since I don't like his political views, or those of his VP Harris.

Yesterday as I was trying not to be anxious, I remembered the verse above. What can I do, Laraba, about our country's future?  I can pray for our leaders.  I can do the job I am supposed to do, which is to raise my children to love God, serve him, and serve other people.  I am just a midwestern woman with a passel of children. I am not a world changer and I won't be.  There is no point in freaking out about a future I cannot change, but there is every reason to pray.


I am finishing up another Pride and Prejudice book; this one is called Darcy Sails After Her.  I have found that most of my books have themes; this particular one is about love and devotion, and recognizing that one cannot fix everything that is wrong around us.  We all have tasks and we all have seasons in our lives.  During one season we may be at home a lot (well -- that describes most of us through COVID-19!) and another season we might be singing worship on stage at church or feeding the homeless in the streets.


I am, I admit, quite passionate about this issue which is no doubt why it has popped up in my writing. There seems to be a general feeling in the Church of Jesus Christ that the only true way to serve Jesus is to serve within the church community. Simplistically, that seems right. Of course you have to serve God's children if you are a Christian?


But what if the children in question are YOUR children.  I have had littles ones for literally decades now.  Rose, who is 6, is not happy when Mama is gone a lot.  Balancing the needs of 9 children is like a tightrope.  There are days when my brain is whirling much of the morning with trying to help 9 kids with this and that.


If I tried to add on an outside ministry, I would neglect my primary calling during this season, which is my family. I am very certain of this.    


No comments: