Wednesday, August 3, 2022

New Book published: Darcy in Distress

 We launched a new book last Thursday called Darcy in Distress.  It is, as all my published books are, a Pride and Prejudice variation.

This is our 13th novel and while we often have some idea of how well a book will be received, it is never a sure thing. We've had books that did better than expected, and others that did worse.

This one is a juggernaut for now, though of course it has been less than a week since publication!  We had a two week preorder and had almost 300 preorders, and since the day we published, we've had a very high number of Kindle page reads. We get paid about 0.4 cents per page, which doesn't sound like much, but when we have more than 100,000 page reads in a day, which we have lately, it adds up!

So yes, it has been a great deal of fun!  I enjoy writing but it is also hard work. It is nice to get positive feedback both in terms of the financial remuneration and good reviews. Most of the reviews are decent though a few people didn't like it for one reason or another.

Kevin and I have talked more than once about what life would be like if I had lots of time to write. As it is, I fit it in around everything else.  If I had four hours a day, would I write much faster?  Or am I only able to write an hour or two a day maximum and then my brain gets too tired?

When we are in St. Croix, I often write a great deal in the midst of snorkeling and enjoying a tropical paradise.

So probably if I had more time, I would write faster.  Almost certainly.

But...the family and the house are a higher priority. Kevin's job provides for us very well so every time we release a book, it is "extra" money, mostly to put away toward our retirement and orthodontia and fun things like that in the future.

Well, we got the hot tub. That was kind of an extra thing.

I don't have expensive tastes.  My favorite hobby is reading and my second favorite hobby is watching mystery shows. So yes.

Anyway, latest book is doing well and we are happy.

 

No comments: