Monday, April 25, 2022

Art, Cats, Hot Tub, and Skunk

 


We have a new (to us) hot tub!  Obviously there is a story about that!  We bought a little one from Sam's Club last autumn. Since we had never had a hot tub before, we weren't sure if we would use it or enjoy it. Answer was that we loved it.  It is in use almost every day. Given the size of our family, we decided to look into purchasing a bigger, nicer hot tub. This one was for sale about 100 miles from us. Kevin and I drove up, looked it over, and decided to buy it. The previous owner kindly transported it down to us for a reasonable fee.  Then a few neighbors helped Kevin and our big boys get it into our sun room.

It has special electrical needs so that has to be sorted out.


Opal is cute in her box.


Her leg is cute too.


Angela did this.  Like all my daughters, she is a self taught artist. She got interested in paint some time ago and has taught herself how to make amazing pictures.  This is a green gift bag.  I think it is incredible.


Isaac is a big believer in adequate Vitamin D.  Also, Moonbeam likes to sit on him.

Last but not least, let's talk skunks!  There has been a faint whiff of skunk in the air the last week.  Well, sometimes it is more than faint; sometimes it hits us straight in the nostrils and is a most unpleasant experience.  We think a skunk is living under our big deck.

A few days ago, Kevin and I were in the hot tub and I looked out to observe a skunk wandering vaguely around the pool.  I was like, um, Kevin?  Skunk in the pool area.

I mean, what can you do about a skunk?  You scare it and it sprays and you are stinky for weeks!

Then yesterday morning some of the kids were feeling sick so we decided to stay home from church. I got up to find Rose up and raring to go. She wanted to go for a walk out back.  I'm like, cool, good idea.

We were all the way in the back, just starting toward the house, when I heard rustling in a bush very near me.  I expected one of the cats was hanging out and looked over expectantly but...

Dum dum DUM!!!!!

SKUNK!

I am 52 and I don't run very often, but I ran for my life.  Well, I ran to save myself being noxiously odiferous.

"Rose, run, run!!!" I cried.

She did, with enthusiasm. She is young and limber and lithe.

We didn't get sprayed, but it made me less excited about walking our back three acres if I am going to find skunks wandering around like they own the place!

Yesterday Kevin bought mothballs and put them at the entrance holes under our deck. We are hoping that will chase the skunk away.  Skunks supposedly don't like mothballs.

So that's our skunk(s) story.

So far...

No comments: