Friday, March 2, 2012

God's Direction and Promise

One of my favorite passages of Scripture is:

Philippians 4:6-7

Today's New International Version (TNIV)
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 
I memorized it long ago, and repeat these words to myself often.  Why?  Well, I guess a big reason is that I AM prone to worry.
 
I know I said this a few months ago, but high school is weighing on me.  We will homeschool for high school unless something truly bizarre happens.  I definitely feel God's call to homeschool the children during that time.  I know God will make a way. But I find myself doubting ... not God, but myself. I know I'm not perfect, I know I'm weak.  I fear my own limitations.
 
But really, that describes every living person on earth, doesn't it?  No one is perfect.  God works through the weaknesses of everyone.
 
I know part of the problem is that my personality lends itself to planning ahead. I was one of those students who usually got work done EARLY.  If a term paper was due on March 31st, I had it done at least a week ahead of time.  I was NEVER up late the night before finishing it. Whenever I feel pressed for time, I am prone to panic.
 
So I have been planning ahead in terms of reading books and thinking about high school.  Naomi is 12 and will be "7th grade" next year.  So we have a couple of years before high school begins, though of course her academic load will get heavier in the next 2 years as well. 
 
Naturally, the people writing about high school from a homeschool perspective don't agree with one another 100%.  One of the beauties of homeschooling is that there are many ways to homeschool effectively.  But in a way, that is challenging for someone like me, who loves to plan ahead.  I want to know EXACTLY how we are going to do this.  And I don't.  That of course leads me closer to the Lord as I have to keep trusting Him with the unknowns.
 
Part of the excitement of next year will be guiding our older children while caring for 2 little people.  Sometimes I can hardly BELIEVE that our son will be born in less than 3 months.  We are going to have a little baby when school starts back up here in July or August.  It really seems more than I can do in my own strength.  And it is.  I think God has me right where He wants me as I learn to trust Him more.

No comments: