Thursday, March 8, 2012

Yearly Assessment for Homeschooling

I've decided to go ahead and do our yearly assessment in the next few weeks. This assessment is legally required by Ohio; well, I should say, it is one way to fulfill a legal requirement. The other popular way to fulfill the legal requirement is to have the children take a standardized test.  I have no moral objection to that option, but have always gone the assessment route.

I've never done my assessment in March before, but then I've never had a baby who will be born in May before.  Does this mean the school year is "done"?  Well, one of the great JOYS of homeschooling is figuring out our own schedule. We started school on August 1st and took only 1 break at Christmas.  So yes, we are done.

But that doesn't mean we won't start up 'til fall. My plan is as follows:

Next week:  normal school
Following week:  finishing up a few things and doing some "outside the box" activities while I pull together the children's portfolios.
Last week of March:  no school but I will have the assessment.

First week of April we will start the next school year. I hope to teach through the end of April, by which time I'll be very pregnant and ready to take a break.  I am guessing we'll be off until July when we will start up again.

No comments: