Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pregnancy Update

Tomorrow I am 31 weeks along in this pregnancy.  The baby will almost certainly be born at least one week early, so I have 8 weeks (or less) to go!

8 weeks, 8 weeks, 8 weeks...

It isn't very long at all and I know in some ways it will fly by.  In other ways, it will seem to last a  long time :-).

I find pregnancy difficult but not extraordinarily difficult.  Isaac's ophthalmologist is due 4 weeks before I am, and when I saw her on Friday she was limping significantly because one leg is swelling up for no apparent reason.  Another friend of mine with 2 children was hospitalized during pregnancy with a variety of issues, including high blood pressure and gestational diabetes.

So I know how blessed I am.  I feel sick for 3+ months at the beginning, but I can keep food down.  I feel bulbous and struggle with sleeping well the last trimester, but have never had serious swelling or indeed any serious symptoms except for preterm contractions. Those are worrisome and I need to take things easily -- not a trivial thing for a mama of many!

Right now I definitely feel slower and wearier.  Climbing stairs is no longer a jaunty, energetic thing -- I plod.  I sometimes feel very weary midway through the day and have to sit down and rest.

The early days of a newborn's life are hard for the mother as he is up a lot at night. But I'm usually so uncomfortable by the end of pregnancy that I am just SO ready to have the baby, and of course I look forward to meeting our little guy face to face!

So, 8 weeks, 8 weeks, 8 weeks...

No comments: